According to a recent Pew Research report “a record 57 million Americans, or 18.1% of the population of the United States, lived in multigenerational family households in 2012, double the number who lived in such households in 1980.” The growing trend is crossing all races and ethnicities and the benefits of a multigenerational home can be felt across all the age groups in the household.
Everyone Can Benefit From a Multigenerational Home
Most of us can think of stories shared from our parents or our grandparents about their own grandparents living either on the same property as them growing up, or in the same house. These stories most often include fond memories of what they learned from these family members; what bits of knowledge, wisdom and skills were shared as they grew up.
America is seeing a resurgence of this lifestyle and not only in households sharing their space with the Seniors of the family, but the 20-something members of families are more likely to be sharing the family home too. With life expectancy increasing and the average age of young people choosing to get married also increasing, the family home is more likely to include 3 or even 4 generations under one roof. This opens the door for building strong, intergenerational family bonds. Additional benefits include:
- Greater financial stability for all involved, with family members pitching in to support the common good and goals of each member.
- Grandparents providing a positive influence in the lives of their grandchildren.
- Childcare being shared among the family members.
- Grandparents staying active, physically and mentally through keeping up with the younger family members’ activities and providing help and guidance with homework.
- Adult children living in the home can save money for their own life goals of family and home.
- Single parents gain the daily support needed for balancing career, family and home.
Keeping this growing lifestyle in mind, Tim Lewis Communities offers many homes with floorplans and features to comfortably accommodate multigenerational households. Whether your family is looking to live near the scenic splendor of Mt. Rose, in Reno, the convenience of South Placer county or tucked just outside the business hub of the Bay Area, our communities include homes to fit your family’s needs and lifestyle.
Visit each of our community pages and contact us with questions on any of our plans, options or communities at 916-783-2300.