Under limited supervision, responsible for the development and administration of the accounting systems, practices, controls and procedures. Provides management with financial status and progress reports. Assists in Oversight of daily accounting functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
% of Time
1. Oversee daily accounting functions, including Accounts Payable and General Accounting.
2. Review general ledger entries and correct as necessary. Review monthly journal entries, work papers, and financial statements prepared by project accountants and sign off. Act as a backup during vacation and sick periods to ensure workflow continues and deadlines are maintained for the department.
3. Assist the CFO with the preparation and ongoing monitoring of budgets and cash flows at the global TLC level.
4. Prepare monthly journal entries, work papers, and financial statements for assigned entities including but not limited to the personal financial records of the Owner and various Trusts as directed.
5. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure. Assist in the development and administration of the accounting systems, practices, controls, and procedures which conform to accepted accounting principles. Assist in the maintenance of the computerized Accounting System. Enforce and monitor the effectiveness of internal controls for all systems. Prepare detailed documentation of procedures to be followed.
6. Review the cost accounting for all land development jobs monthly to ensure accuracy. Assist land department personnel in identifying budget variances and securing explanations for variances noted. Analyze adequacy of cost to complete figures. Calculate and update finished lot cost figures used in project proformas and financial statements.
7. Coordinate with department personnel monthly to obtain updated information regarding changes to forecasting assumptions such as sales absorption, revenue streams, or cost figures used to establish performance and profitability expectations by project on the proforma. Maintain and update proformas for all projects monthly.
8. Analyze actual Gross Margin on sold or closed lots against established expectations in proformas and provide detailed explanations for variances in performance by lot, plan, and/or community.
9. Produce monthly financial and non-financial reports as directed.
10. Review all tax returns prepared by third-party CPAs following established methods of ticking and tying all numbers referenced to internal financial statements.
11. Support Controller/CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
12. Supervision of staff as per Supervisory Responsibilities listed below.
13. Assist departments such as marketing, construction, warranty, and administration in the preparation of detailed annual budgets and monitor actual results against budgeted amounts by cost code or general ledger account. Prepare variance analysis and fluctuation comments identifying reasons for variances. Work with department personnel to identify recommendations and establish a corrective action plan as needed. Monitor progress towards the plan.
14. Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree plus minimum 3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the construction industry is preferred.
This position will be a mid-level manager with supervisory responsibilities. Supervisory responsibilities may include overseeing and directing the Accounts Payable Administrator and Project and Senior Accountant.
Supervisory responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the Company's policies and applicable laws, including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities)
Productivity: Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity without sacrificing quality and safety.
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions.
Quality: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Customer Service: Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; meets commitments
Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification
Teamwork: Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; supports others’ efforts to succeed.
Ethics: Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; works with integrity and high ethic; upholds organizational values.
Diversity: Promotes a harassment-free environment; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration.
Safety: Observes safety procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; designs workflows and procedures
Design: Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; demonstrates attention to detail
Project Management: Coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
Technical Skills: Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Presentation Skills: Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings; effective negotiation skills
Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively.
Cost Consciousness: Uses the Company’s funds and resources appropriately; recommends cost-saving processes.
Business Acumen: Understands business implications of decisions; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; analyzes market and competition.
Judgment: Makes timely decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
Motivation: Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
Planning/Organizing: Manages time and prioritizes work to meet deadlines; able to multi-task with numerous interruptions.
Innovation: Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; develops innovative ideas.
- Inclusion of Staff: Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating, and process implementation; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates skills and encourages growth; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Delegation: Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Gives authority to work independently; provides recognition for results
- Visionary Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust.
- Change Management: Communicates changes effectively; prepares and supports those affected by the change.
Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Able to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Able to interpret bar graphs and pie charts.
Read/Analyze/Interpret: Able to read, analyze, and interpret complex instructions, correspondence, policies, procedures, technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
Write: Able to write complex reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Speak: Able to effectively present information and respond to questions in one-on-one, small and large group situations of customers, clients and employees of the organization, as well as top management and the general public, if required.
Microsoft Outlook: Open and reply to e-mails, open folders, set and reply to calendar appointments.
Microsoft Word: Intermediate skills necessary ie. Open documents, change fonts, copy text, create columns, check spelling, change margins, align text, set tabs, convert text to tables, change page orientation, align table, insert page breaks, add page numbering, create bulleted lists, sort lists, create mail merge form letter, insert merge fields, run merges, print envelope.
Microsoft Excel: Intermediate skills necessary ie. Begin formula, edit formulae, sort ranges, insert rows, use SUM function, align text, preview worksheets, move between worksheets, go to cell, move formulae, change column width, add new worksheet, freeze titles, add footers, name range, add borders, filter list, insert page breaks, change page orientation, center text over columns, apply styles, create charts, change chart styles, add chart titles, create scenarios, link data, record macros, run macros.
Microsoft PowerPoint: Basic Skills necessary ie. Create new presentations, add titles, save presentations, edit text in slides, copy text, paste text, move to next slide, print presentations, add slides, change bullet type, change bullet level, change fonts, format paragraph, check spelling, and add clip art
Other Skills: Database management software experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Seldom: Stoop, kneel, and crouch.
Occasionally: Stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and lift up to 15lbs.
Frequently: Sit, use hands, talk, or hear.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is that of a normal office with moderate noise.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Our team members abide by all COVID-19 protocol to ensure that we have a safe working environment for all our team members.